Its October. And in our house that's the month when we break out the slow cooker! It will now frequent the kitchen worktop until somewhere around March. Having 2 children under two, one who has not long started weaning, I now need recipes that the whole family can enjoy. This slow cooker Rice Pud is great for babies and toddlers. It can be mashed or blended once cooked for teeny weaners, and sugar is optional. And, the best part is, the slow cooker means there's no need to slave over the hob! Just pop it all in, leave for 4hrs and voila!
- 110g (4 oz) Pudding rice
- 25g (1 oz) Unsalted butter
- 25g (1oz) Sugar (optional)
- 1.2L (2 pt) Whole milk
- 1tsp Ground cinnamon, nutmeg, or 1 split vanilla pod
- Use a small amount of the butter to grease the bowl of the slow cooker.
- Add the milk, sugar and remaining butter and either ground cinnamon, nutmeg or vanilla pod.
- Give it a good stir and place the lid on
- Turn the slow cooker onto high and cook for 4 hours or until the rice has absorbed the liquid, stirring halfway through.
Serve on its own or with some chopped banana, jam, fruit compote/puree, stewed apples, or dried fruit.
October. You look tasty, warming and cosy.